Enjoy this recipe that I created for www.ketologic.com.
This recipe is a classic guacamole that, in my opinion, is the perfect addition to a ketogenic diet. The one tablespoon of olive oil per avocado gives this recipe a whopping 4.4:1 of fat to net carbs plus protein ratio. A ratio like that makes this recipe a great supplement to a ketogenic diet, leaving lots of room to pair this guacamole with low-carb chips and vegetables, or a high-protein piece of meat or fish. The abundance of nutrients and antioxidant properties of this recipe are an added bonus that makes it all the more appealing.
- 3 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice from 1 lime
- dash of Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ red or white onion, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1-2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Put avocados, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, Tabasco, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mash together thoroughly with a potato masher or fork.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients and do a taste test. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Yield: 6
Brandon McDearis is the owner of Your Way Cuisine, http://www.yourwaycuisine.com, a personal chef and nutrition consulting business. He is also a professional wanderer that spends much of his year trotting the globe and working in places such as Alaska, Australia, and Antarctica.