Enjoy this recipe that I created for www.ketologic.com.
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- ½ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup marinara/spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 20 slices pepperoni
- 4 basil leaves, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Scrape out the gills from the portobello mushrooms, toss or drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Then, lay portobellos on a baking pan open side up.
- Scoop ¼ cup of sauce into each portobello cap. Mix the two cheeses together in a bowl and sprinkle generously (about ¾ cup) into each portobello. Top each pizza with 5 pieces of pepperoni.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Garnish with extra Parmesan and sliced basil.
- Yield: 4
Brandon McDearis is the owner of Your Way Cuisine, http://www.yourwaycuisine.com, a personal chef and nutrition consulting business. He is also a professional wanderer that spends much of his year trotting the globe and working in places such as Alaska, Australia, and Antarctica.