Enjoy this recipe that I created for www.ketologic.com.
While many, if not most, recipes are difficult to alter to a ketogenic version, I have found that concocting (and even finding) a legitimate keto-friendly chili to be especially challenging. More often than not, the protein gets a little out of control in its ratio to fat, and the net carbs are also unusually high in most chili recipes. However, I have devised one here that fits into (or very close to) the ideal macronutrient range. This chili is easy enough to prepare for a beginner cook to prepare, and the flavor of the finished product is superb.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground hot (or mild) Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil at medium-high heat. Add the onion and green pepper, and stir for about 3-4 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the ground beef and ground Italian sausage. Stir continuously until meat is browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together until thoroughly combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired.
- Yield: 8
Brandon McDearis is the owner of Your Way Cuisine, http://www.yourwaycuisine.com, a personal chef and nutrition consulting business. He is also a professional wanderer that spends much of his year trotting the globe and working in places such as Alaska, Australia, and Antarctica.